Sunday 3 February 2013

Hot summer afternoons...

Mamma roe deer with fawn.

In July, temperatures reach up to 35º Celsius, so get ready as dusk gets closer for nature is starting to wake up!
I was on my way to see how the Spanish Ibexes were doing under these extreme conditions and these two fellows showed up and we stared at each other for about five minutes until they decided that staring at the worse predator species on Earth wasn't like the safest thing to do and fled away.
I never get tired of watching them almost flying as they leave. There's always something magical in their way of behaving and, at least for me, seeing them is a sign of good luck; whenever I find them, I know my day is going to be full of animal sightings, don't ask me why, but up til now it's been that way!
I wish my grandpa would have been able to see these beauties roaming free in the place where he taught me so many things about nature and wildlife. At that time, there weren't any in these surroundings, but since 1995, when I saw the first one in a not so far away place, their numbers have been increasing.

Since then, I've been working hard managing the populations and searching for good and healthy animals, that meaning hunting old and "strange" deer (remember: nowadays they have no natural predators and populations are not naturally regulated) in order to help the best and healthier ones to reproduce and transfer their genes.

I can now proudly say that the population roaming our property is very healthy; proof that a good management is necessary if you want a balanced enviroment.

See ya soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment or recommend this blog but please notice that rude comments or inapropriate language will be banned.
Also notice that any comment will be checked before being posted.
Thank you.